About The Job
We are seeking a Lead Business Manager to support the rapid growth of our busy High Performance Automotive (HPA) department. The overall objective of the role is to provide sales support to designated HPA customers’, to support Xtrac’s Integrated Business Planning (IBP) process with a focus on HPA demand considering a 24 month horizon. To manage the successful delivery of key projects by providing project management and business development support within the HPA department in order to achieve Xtrac and department strategic and sales objectives. To lead HPA project teams. To support and deputise for the Head of HPA as required. To manage designated HPA staff including completion of annual PDR and regular one to one reviews as required.
Reporting to the Head of High Performance Automotive you will be responsible for establishing, maintaining and managing a strong working relationship with new and existing HPA customers at all levels. Processing and managing customers’ orders including leading customer communications. To manage customer projects through the business in a co-ordinated, focused, structured and well controlled manner, using the designated tools and processes. This will include:
- Timely order processing and issue of associated paperwork to include quality documentation.
- Establish and maintain a Business Case where applicable.
- Co-ordination of engineering, manufacturing and purchasing involvement in customer projects.
- Organisation and chairing of internal project meetings
- Providing relevant commercial input into the creation and maintenance of Project plans within Proj-X and other relevant tools.
- Progress reporting on the project, both internal and external.
- Risk and Issue management
- Management of Xtrac HPA forecast process and stock levels where applicable.
- Detailed monitoring of project progress, including:
- Management of Cost and margins against established Business Case and ensure prompt delivery of quotations, orders and invoicing.
- Quality – Project specification, quality plan management, and ensuring what was ordered is delivered.
- Timing – Ensuring project activities are completed in adherence to the project timing plan and customer schedules are achieved.
The successful candidate will be responsible for answering customer enquiries, providing quotations and proposals in a structured and timely manner which follows the departmental systems. Along with providing input into the costings process on pricing, and decide the commercials terms with the Head of HPA and others.
You will build and develop relationships internally with other members of the project team, in particular Operations, Design & Engineering, Quality and Purchasing. You will liaise with the stores department to despatch assemblies and components, ensuring customer charges if applicable. You will also liaise with the accounts department and the customer to ensure that the account is kept up to date and within the agreed credit limits. You will manage the circulation of customer technical documentation including parts and price lists, manuals, technical bulletins and assembly drawings, where appropriate.
The role will require the selected candidate to manage and coordinate event support as requested by the Head of HPA, contribute to a sales plan for HPA. Proactively pursue generation of leads and subsequent quotations for HPA. Proactively identify new business growth opportunities.
The successful candidate will be a student of automotive, aerospace or mechanical engineering and educating to a minimum of A level or equivalent. Ideally you will be educated to degree level and be proficient in written and spoken French, German or Italian, however this is not essential. You will have a minimum of 4 years Motorsport, Automotive or Mechanical Engineering experience, in terms of commercial and engineering, customer and project management experience along with commercial and management experience.
You will have strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), business operating systems i.e. ERP/MRP and Project Planning.
Having the skills to prepare proposals and quotes is essential along with excellent oral and written communication skills. Being enthusiastic and having the capability of using your own initiative when under pressure and being flexible to your approach to work constructively to meet tight deadlines is essential for success alongside having strong motivation and project management skills.
Excellent interpersonal skills and experience of management of staff is fundamental to the position along with having the ability to build strong working relationships both internally and externally.
The candidate will be required to be flexible with travel as and when required and must have a full clean driving license.