The P1159 gearbox was designed for the 2014 LMP1 regulations. Based on the successful series of P529 & P1059 gearboxes it can trace its origins back to the Le Mans winning BMW of 1999 and Bentley of 2003.
Launched for LMP1-L use in 2014 with package protection for LMP1-H (hybrid). In 2015 a 6 speed version was launched for LMP2, retaining many of the LMP1 features packaged to suit the needs of LMP2 and DPi.
Alternative input bevel and final drive options allow all engine permutations for LMP1, LMP2 and DPi; with further options possible.
Sequential gearchange system operated by Xtrac’s P1254 IVA and is compatible with the MegaLine direct drive E-Shift.
- 820Nm (590lbf ft.) maximum nominal engine input torque (depending on Specification), up to ~ 11,000rpm.
- Integral 1st and 2nd Layshaft gears, 3rd to 6th (7th for LMP1) slide on with a wide range of available ratios.
- Gear ground and Xtrem polished gear ratios as standard, using Xtrac’s high specification XM023 material.
- Gearbox casing material is magnesium RZ5 and all casting joint faces have ‘O’-Ring seals.
- Integral rocker mounts, RTWB, RLWEB, toe link and 3rd element bosses.
- Rear Cover suits original 2014 LMP1 regulations; these features carry forward for LMP2/DPi for 2017.
- Tether mounts suit 2014 LMP1 regulations; these features will be carried forwards for LMP2/DPi for 2017.
- Xtrac limited slip ramp and plate type differential, with optional externally adjustable pre-load and/or VCP.
- Straight cut full form gear ground final drive; 18:43, 16:42 and 15:47 available to suit WEC and IMSA.
- Clutch shaft to suit customer installation is included.
- Full form ground Klingelnberg input bevel set; with 21:23 (WEC) and 21:22 (IMSA) options.
- Output flanges are included to suit 38mm diameter roller size tripode joints. (Optional 34mm tripode rollers)
- Lubrication via recirculation pump system with externally accessible oil filters, optimised for efficiency and low oil volume, featuring Xtrac’s F1 style oil baffling.
- Most components are manufactured in Xtrac’s own grade of steel (X36C). Bevel sets, final drives and pinions manufactured in Xtrac’s vacuum melted steel (XVAR1). Highly stressed components are shot peened.
- Gearbox weight 64kg (141 lb) (Dependent on specification)
The Gearbox Offers The Following Benefits
- Dedicated suspension and rocker post detail.
- Quick change gear ratios using ‘cassette’ cluster.
- Cost effective, reliable and well proven solution.
- Compliant with 2014 on wards LMP1 safety regulations and planned 2017 LMP2 safety regulations.
- Casing material in Aluminium L169.
- Alternator drive and mounting.
- Bell housing.
- Clutchshaft torque sensor.
- Xtrac Ring Gear.